Oven Crepella

When people ask me to name my favorites of stuff (like colors, songs, movies, books...) I always panic and leave them with a "wait, let me think!" It's super hard for me to commit to a favorite anything, almost like there's no going back once you say it. Eeeks, I would hate that. But out of everything in the world, I can easily commit to a favorite meal. In fact, I get really excited whenever I'm asked because I actually have an answer and a reason for why breakfast wins. 

For starters (oh a pun :: sort of :: ! delight), it has it's very own menu. Lunch and dinner kind of spill into eachother in the sense that you can eat lunch for dinner and dinner for lunch and everything will keep order. But have breakfast for dinner and automatically your life that day is cooler and quirkier. Plus, you can classify yourself as a savory breakfast person or a sweet breakfast person. Are you over this already? Should I just cut to the chase? 

Today I made an "oven crepella," which sounds like a baby crepe or a crepe ballerina. I've been wanting to try my hand at one ever since I learned it requires no more effort than pancakes. It actually calls for a lot less hands-on work. You just whisk all the ingredients in a bowl and plop (or rather pour) it all in an oven-safe skillet and bake until it's puffy, fluffy and crinkly around the edges. It ends up tasting like pancakes, just lighter and prettier. It goes by a few names, two of which are a "dutch baby" and german pancakes. But of course oven crepella is my favorite. Just like breakfast is. Whoa, I'm getting pretty good at this coming full circle thing. 

 It's called "crepella" because like crepes, it abides by the basic flour, egg, milk, sugar, vanilla and salt recipe. Or so I think, I mean it makes sense right? Unlike flat crepes though, this puffs up pretty high while it's baking and for a few minutes after. 

Sadly, it deflates! But it's supposed to happen so you get over it quickly. (It does crush you for a couple minutes, I won't lie.)

 


Recipes like this make me want to kidnap all the pre-mixed pancake boxes and carelessly destroy them. This is SO easy I made it twice today. One for photography purposes (obviously I had to make sure it was good too) and another fresh for my parents and brother's arrival from work. I'm off from school and work for a few weeks so I happily feel like some domestic goddess person. Just kidding. I just always wanted to say that ever since I drooled over Nigella Lawson's cookbook by that name. 

Okay okay! Recipe. Here you are: 

Oven Crepella




3/4 cups flour
2 eggs
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups whole milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter

blueberry sauce (recipe follows), nutella because why not, berries....anything your heart desires on top 

Directions: 

1. Put a 12-inch ovenproof heavy skillet in middle of oven and preheat to 375 degress
2. Whisk together flour, eggs, sugar, vanilla, salt and milk in a bowl.
3. Add butter to skillet and melt in oven until golden, about a minute. 
4. Pour batter into skillet and bake until PUFFED (it just excites me that's all), set and golden, 20-25 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, cook a cup of blueberries with a squirt of lemon juice and a tablespoon of sugar in a saucepan until the juices squirt out and it becomes a glossy, fushia-ish concoction. Stir occasionally for about 10 minutes. 

Serve warmmmm, and I will say that these taste best right away, warm and cuddly. 

Comments

  1. OHHHH MYYYY GODDDD!!!! I LOVE YOU AND U ARE TOTALLY MAKING ME THIS. unless in beat u too it cuz it does look very easy and fun!!
    And girl, you ARE a domestic goddess!!! It's in the genes!! I promise you that!! ;) can't wait to see uuu!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That thing you said about having a favorite thing. That's exactly how I feel but could never figure out why unless now! And sometimes, I just say something so people could stop asking but I'm never satisfied with it! Okay off the topic but since I live here, this is something I heard or saw for the first time haha but goes straight to my to do list!!

    For one day. Some day! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment